Folate is a member of the B-complex family. It is found in abundance in leafy green vegetables. Folate participates in a coenzyme reaction that synthesizes DNA needed for cell growth and new cell formation, and helps convert vitamin B12 to one of its coenzyme forms.
Folate provides the following health benefits:
- Helps promote healthy DNA function
- Maintains already normal homocysteine levels, which is important for heart health
- Promotes healthier skin
- Helps maintain a healthy GI tract
- Is part of a healthy immune system
- Maintains healthy endothelial function
- Improves mild memory loss associated with aging
Optimal levels of folate are necessary for healthy cell division and protein synthesis and are especially important for the maintenance of a healthy GI tract. The systemic need for folate increases in certain states in which increased cell multiplication is needed. Chronic use of medications such as aspirin in therapeutic doses and antacids can interfere with the metabolism of folate.
Vitamin B12 is found in foods of animal origin, including dairy products and eggs. Thus, vegetarians are more susceptible to a dietary deficiency of this important nutrient. With aging, absorption of vitamin B12 from dietary sources typically declines.
- Supports brain health and cognition as one ages
- Supports heart health by regenerating the amino acid methionine which helps maintain healthy homocysteine levels
- Supports nervous system function as vitamin B12 and folate together help maintain the integrity of the myelin sheath of nerves
- Helps enhance methylation and promote nerve cell growth, brain health, cognition and metabolism
- Works with folate to maintain the production of red blood cells (erythropoiesis) within normal range
BioActive Folate & Vitamin B12 capsules contain the biologically active forms of folate (as 5-methyltetrahydrofolate) and vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin).
- 5-methyltetrahydrofolate or 5-MTHF is the metabolically active form of folic acid—it is the only form of folate used directly by the body and does not require metabolic conversion or activation. 5-MTHF is seven times more bioavailable than folic acid. 5-MTHF can cross the blood-brain barrier which allows 5-MTHF specifically to benefit the neurological system.
- Methylcobalamin is the bioactive form of B12 that is readily utilized in the body and the central nervous system.
Suggested Use: Take one (1) capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Note: Healthful diets with adequate folate may reduce a woman’s risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord defect. Women of childbearing age should consume 800 mcg of folate daily.